Thursday, July 7, 2011

BPD and Memory Loss

Sometimes I wonder if BPD causes memory loss. I used to have a terrific memory. I could remember every word of a conversation. Now I forget entire conversations, and I'm not talking about just forgetting what was said. I forget that I even talked to the person. I used to have over 200 phone numbers stored in my head. Now I can't even remember my own phone number most of the time. I used to be able to read something and never forget it. Seriously, my mind sucked up knowledge like a sponge, but now there's times I can read something and forget it the next day. And would you believe 9 times out of 10, I forget about making love with my husband?

This is getting so frustrating. My memory, specifically my ability to retain knowledge, has always been my biggest point of pride. When someone asks a question, I always knew the answer because sometime in the last 25 years I had read about it and stored that information in my head. Now when someone asks a question, I get frustrated because I know the answer is in my head somewhere. I just can't find it.

For example: I've been studying healing herbs for over 10 years. During that time, I've recommended different herbs to many people and they always worked. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the subject. But then yesterday, my MIL and I were having a conversation about herbs vs medication. I spent the whole conversation getting frustrated because I couldn't remember any pertinent facts. I felt like a complete idiot.

The thing is, I expected some memory loss. I've always lost big chunks of time when I get manic. Although it's confusing and embarrassing, I've always accepted it.

But this....this is just too much. I feel like I'm losing who I am.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with memory loss. I'm not sure what to suggest to be honest. I have never had this issue unless I am dissociated and then I usually forget stuff but when I am okay it comes back fine afterwards. I hope you can get to the bottom of it all. But in the meantime be kind to yourself!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had periods like that myself and they've always gone away. For me, it has been dealing with excess stress usually to do with people issues. I don't think it is caused by BPD but the stress around BPD could definitely cause it. imo

    ReplyDelete